Integrity. Ethics. Purpose.
Our Model: Partnering With Horses
Our model for Equine Assisted Learning is to positively impact people's lives by working through objectively driven programs while keeping the horse's welfare at the base of all we do. This is a learner-established educational, experiential program facilitated within a group format or one-on-one and focuses on ground activities rather than riding horses.
It is essential that you learn to hear horses in their world to understand what your horses are telling you to achieve the objectives for your clients!
As specialists in this industry and leaders in this well-established Certification, we have made it our mission to “partner” with horses versus “using” them as tools. You will learn to hear the horses in their world. It’s an unparalleled student experience.
The horse’s welfare is at the foundation of this certification.
Using horses is no way to get results, but rather working with horses as the teachers and understanding what they are saying is how to instill long-lasting learning that is compelling for your clients and safe for your horses. It's about learning the horse's language versus expecting him to understand and adhere to yours. We must thoroughly know how the horse communicates in every way. The welfare of the horse is paramount! We are proud to be partnering with Equine Guelph, the horse owner’s Centre at the University of Guelph to promote the welfare of the horse in this well-established certification.
The horse is known as "the teller of truth" who desires to "do the right thing". It is believed that a horse's spirit will lead individuals in the "right direction" and will assist them in understanding their place in the circle of life. You’ll not only discover that your horse has way more to say, but you’ll also find yourself forming a new perspective on how brilliant they are at being the teacher. This will help you to better understand the “how-tos” for facilitating your clients with success!
As facilitators, if we are willing to listen to our horses, they can assist us with guiding humans to be all they can be in their lives. By including horses in specially designed educational experiences, equine-assisted specialists have significantly multiplied the participant’s rate of success to self-discovery. Through their intuitive nature and innate sensitivity, horses can provide facilitators with a window into the participant’s learning style.
We collaborate with global specialists to ensure the 'Welfare of the Horse' comes first.
We work with the originator and designer of this objectively driven Equine Assisted Learning curriculum!
All of the exercises were created through research on how human beings learn and how wild horses communicate, and then she brought these two research pieces together to create all of these objectively driven programs. Each exercise has an objective that is interlaced into the next program so that your participants keep learning and building stronger skills each week, hence, creating an armour of skills to take into the world! This Certification is research-based and proven to work!
The horse's job is to speak to the clients through their body language to help bring about the client's changes. Exercises are developed to encourage self-confidence through validated, hands-on experiences. The people are empowered to find answers to their own lives and move forward with newly acquired skills.
We don't call for a clinical professional to run our programs/exercises. You don't need to become a therapist or counsellor to conduct these objectively-driven exercises. It is an excellent addition for therapists, counsellors, and psychiatrists who want to work with the horse to aid their customers in treatment, adding a different perspective to helping your clients advance in their own lives. We do know; however, that should you work with these magnificent animals, simply being in the presence of horses will be a therapeutic experience.
We are proud that this course and all of it's Facilitators are governed through the EAL Network to ensure the guidelines for integrity and ethics for working with both humans and horses are followed.
This Equine Assisted Learning Formula" is considerably different from any other equine guided program, and which is designed to produce consistent, desired and predictable outcomes when all 6 components of the formula are present.
The 6 Components:
- Establishing the foundation for understanding through a behaviour modifying module which includes self-evaluation, new skills learned, and specific behavioural choices as a result of increased self-awareness and personal accountability (relationship);
- Facilitating a curriculum; based on the theoretical foundations of behaviour modification;
- Incorporating the basic principles of operant conditioning, the program’s "Formula" becomes fully interactive, providing participants with an opportunity for engagement in experiential learning. Active participation paired with a positive response as it relates to a particular behaviour is observed to increase the occurrence of the learned behaviour over time (formula);
- Monitoring the horse’s response to the slightest change in the participant’s intention, emotion, and physical expression allows the facilitators to ‘read’ the participant when it may be otherwise impossible. In turn, the teaching strategies used by the facilitator can be adapted immediately to suit the participant’s responses. Working with the horse in this way provides a meaningful outcome for both the participant and facilitator (horse);
- Transferring observational cues related to the horse’s response from the facilitator to the participant builds skill in identifying and taking note of their intentions concerning the horse, altering their behaviours, and using these same techniques in their life beyond the confines of the arena. Through this experience, the participant develops a better understanding of the nature of the consequence for his or her actions (facilitation); and
- Evaluating the participant’s learning immediately following the arena experience builds personal accountability into the program. Accountability includes documentation of the arena experience and reflection of participant.
"I waited 2 years to finally take the plunge -- it was worth the wait, worth my time, and hands down, worth the money. I researched every option I could find for training in this field and walked away knowing I made the right choice with Equine Connection! From day one of the five day course, our instructors kept our attention, made us think and provided invaluable learning, both inside the classroom and inside the arena. I cam home to my horses with a refreshed awareness of their subtle communication and a renewed appreciation for the role in my life. I look forward to starting my business and feeling secure in the knowledge that I will never be alone in this journey!"
"No matter if I’m talking to a potential new client or I’m welcoming and new client into my program, I always talk about what a wonderful certification I have since 2016. I explained how after I was certified, Equine Connection stays in touch with me daily to keep me up to date and answer questions. I also have an entire community of fellow facilitators that are there to share ideas and support. When asked why I chose this certification, I honestly reply because they didn’t leave me the day I got certified. They have helped me build a business I never thought was possible. I make a living with my horses helping others! What else would you want?"
"Equine Connection and the training I received from Kari, Carolyn and the crew, has been the absolute missing piece to my life, purpose and career. The course exceeded my expectation on so many levels, and the on-going support has been first class and given me everything I have needed to start and grow my own EAL business from home."
~ Jess Keenan